[WikiEN-l] Re: Learn PHP

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 10:51:27 UTC 2004

 --- Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Unfortunately it seems most programmers on Wikipedia would rather think
> of excuses, complain about the lack of progress and file bug reports.

There's an unfortunate tendency on Wikipedia to suppose that if you identify a
problem that you can fix, then you have an obligation to fix it. Even if you
have the capability, there is no moral imperative for volunteers to do anything
at all on Wikipedia, and documenting a problem is already a positive
contribution, albeit a comparatively minor one. Of course, to grumble or whine
about a problem that you've identified is churlish, as you have no right to
expect that others fix things on your behalf.

But to get to the point: I'm very grateful to the developers. I would quite
like to hack on Mediawiki myself some day, but right now I prefer to spend my
time contributing to the content of articles -- this is not an *excuse*; this
is a choice, and I (only mildly!) resent any such implication.

-- Matt (User:Matt Crypto)