[WikiEN-l] Reithy

Rhobite rhobite at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 23:06:46 UTC 2004

On Fri,  5 Nov 2004 14:52:39 -0700, uninvited at nerstrand.net
<uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:
> Sadly, Rhobite is, for the most part, right about Reithy; though I agree
> with Jimbo that threatening to write to a record label regarding album
> art hardly rises to the level of a "legal threat."
>
> Reithy joined us three weeks ago and has made over 500 edits.
>
> The edits have been to roughly a dozen articles, most of them related to
> [[United States Libertarian Party]], to talk pages of these articles and
> those who oppose his edits, and to RFC/RFA related pages where he has
> answered (after a fashion) various complaints about his behavior.
>
> There really is no reason we should have to go through the slow,
> deliberate [[Wikipedia:Dispute resolution]] process with someone who
> has never been a good-faith contributor to the project.  The safeguards
> present therein are intended to provide a means of cooling off for
> Wikipedians who have contributed in the past and are likely to do so in
> the future.
>
> The present arbitration framework is serving to do nothing but give this
> joker another soapbox.  Rhobite is being subject to undue scrutiny as a
> result of his conflict with Reithy, and I imagine that the AC will, in
> an effort to be evenhanded and "fair" find a bone to pick with one or
> another of his comments or edit summaries.
>
> If Reithy is banned, as seems likely to occur at some point, I imagine
> he'll return with an army of sockpuppets, and those admins who seek out
> fairness to accused sockpuppets will revert any attempts to block them.
>
> This isn't some obscure corner of the 'pedia, folks, like [[Iridology]]
> or [[Instructional capital]].
>
> This is about the article on one of the largest minor political parties
> in U.S. politics, on the 300th largest web site in the world.
>
> Is it time to do something about bad-faith users yet?
>
> UninvitedCompany

uc, thanks for the support. I don't know how the AC works but I also
wouldn't be surprised if they found some fault with me - I admit I
have used confrontational language with Reithy, but only after he
started revert warring on my talk page and complaining loudly about
"Rhobitegate" and "The Dying Days of Rhobite's Administration." I'll
own up, he pissed me off a little bit.

The copyright thing may not have been a legal threat but it's just one
instance of insinuation by Reithy which establishes a pattern of
threats. This dispute also involves [[User:Chuck F]], who
unfortunately has edited from two IP addresses. Reithy ran a WHOIS on
the IPs, and has taken to editing articles about the institutions who
own the IPs. He believes Chuck lives at one of these institutions, and
has posted its name a couple times:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:Chuck_F&diff=7051486&oldid=7048057

AdamBishop did block Reithy last night for 24 hours, after he
repeatedly edited my user page. This marks the second time he has been
blocked for vandalism.

Rhobite