[WikiEN-l] Broken dispute resolution mechanisms (was Reithy is a problem)

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:59:24 UTC 2004

>From: Rhobite <rhobite at gmail.com>
>To: wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] Reithy is a problem
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:02:40 -0500

While I don't know the details of this particular case, I think it does
raise the issue of a larger problem on Wikipedia that I've mentioned before.
  For a while now schemes for "freezing" pages in various stable states have
been bandied about on this list.  In my opinion one of the reasons this is
becoming an issue is because Wikipedia's dispute resolution mechanisms are
broken, to the extent that editors who repeatedly and deliberatly violate
Wikipedia rules (e.g. regarding NPOV, personal attacks, civility, etc.)
operate with near impunity.  Unless they unambiguously commit outright
vandalism, for which they can be blocked, little or nothing is done about
them.  Request for Comment is a useless quagmire; partisans on each side of
the issue line up their votes, and nothing is accomplished.  Requests for
mediation take weeks or months, with mixed results at best.

However, the worst issue is requests for arbitration.  The arbitration
process is the only one which actually has any "teeth"; yet it is almost
completely disfunctional.   Again, not commenting on the merits of the
cases, the Avala, Lance6wins, and Rex071404 cases have dragged out for 4
months or more now.   The three month old Cantus vs. Guanaco case is still
in the Evidence stage!  Many other cases are two or three months old, with
every indication that they are in for more months of little or no action.
"Justice delayed is justice denied."

Frankly, Wikipedia has plenty of trolls on it who would, under any
functional system, have been hard banned within a couple of weeks of their
arrival.  As it is, though, Arbcom only manages to ban, what, two or three
users a year? Sysops and bureaucrats have commented to me privately that
they ignore all of these mechanisms, since they are almost completely
useless.  The ultimate outcome is that good editors, not wanting to get into
fights, avoid the articles being trolled, and eventually abandon the
project.  When the administrators of the project have no faith in its
processes, and when good editors are being driven away, then these processes
need to be fixed.

Jay.