[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal: make user pages uneditable

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Nov 5 16:24:23 UTC 2004

Rick wrote:
 > Do you people not understand how much disgusting (pornographic,
 > name-calling) vandalism goes on on User pages?  It's one of the main
 > reasons for blocking anons.  The Talk page is for editing.  The User
 > page is for a person's philosophy, who they are, what they are.  Why
 > do you feel the need to do that?  What's wrong with just editing the
 > Talk page and leaving the User page alone?

I admit I was being flippant, there's certainly a good argument in
favour of protecting user pages. There's certain cases where editing
someone else's user page would be desirable, but it's rarely done anyway
for philosophical reasons. Two French users, Anthere and Hashar, were
kind enough to respond to my post by editing my user page, and I
responded in kind by correcting mistakes in their English on their en
user pages. Head did the same for me once, correcting my
machine-translated German at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Tim_Starling . These actions could
only be considered to be a good thing.

However, it's perfectly clear that the vast bulk of user page edits, say
99%, are malicious. That's partly because good users don't fix mistakes
on other peoples' user pages out of courtesy, but vandals wishing to
make a personal attack are not so inhibited.

So maybe 90% of edits to articles are made in good faith, but only 1% of
edits of other peoples' user pages. There's an argument to be had for
reducing that 1% of good edits by putting up barriers, in exchange for
removing the need to revert the other 99%.

Despite what I said in my hasty first post, I'm actually undecided.

-- Tim Starling