[WikiEN-l] Usernames: sense of proportion

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 7 23:19:56 UTC 2004

Charles Matthews wrote:

>"Ray Saintonge" wrote
>
>>It's not about "troll-culture"; (whatever that is); it's about the right
>>to choose a name.  The poisoned atmosphere comes the self-righteous
>>crowd that goes around making all these petty complaints.
>>

>If you don't _know_ troll-culture, that would be a bit of a
>disqualification?
>
>No right to choose an in-your-face-name.  What has that to do with writing
>an encyclopedia?

That last point is the important one.  If someone chooses an
in-your-face name I am not likely to complain about the name, but I
admit that I will look at his edits more critically than if he had
chosen something less controversial.  If his edits are consistently fair
and satisfactory I will eventually ignore the name, and no-one will have
noticed how much scrutiny I have applied to those edits.

Ec