[WikiEN-l] Re: Qualifications for referrals to arbitration.

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 09:12:40 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:
>It might be a sort of guideline, that as long as it is "person to
>person" with not much impact on community, then it is MC issue,
>and if MC fails, well, another mediator, or anyone else is welcome
>to help

I think that that would be a useful thing to keep in mind, yes.

Brian Corr wrote:
>Don't blame Cimon Avaro for not doing his homework on this one.
>
>"Currently, the arbitrators accept referrals from Jimbo Wales only,
>which  they decide to arbitrate on based on the voting procedure
>described at wikipedia:arbitration policy."
>
>"The arbitration committee accepts requests for arbitration from
>anyone;  however, in most cases, the arbitration committee will
>only hear cases  referred to them by the Mediation Committee or
>directly from Jimmy Wales."
>
>There needs to be some harmonizing of these two pages, methinks.

A basic read of the page titled "Arbitration policy" would make clear the
difference between the temporary process and the more permanent one that it
being worked on.

"Currently" should also be a huge hint. That statement is based on clearly
marked (on the policy page, which is referred to and linked) temporary and
emergency session guidelines (which have many admitted flaws).  What we have
been talking about here is what should the more permanent process be.

Things will become more clear when we have one set of guidelines.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)