[WikiEN-l] Qualifications for referrals to arbitration.

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 04:04:39 UTC 2004

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>If there were a way to engender a perception that the mediation
>process was conjunct in some real way to the arbitration committee,
>this would not only improve the functionality of the mediation
>committee, but also *potentially* effectively _restrict_ the number
>of cases that actually flared up to a state that can only be remedied
>by arbitration. "A stitch in time, saves nine!"

Before you criticize something, it would be very helpful to read the relevant
documentation:

"... in most cases, the arbitration committee will only hear cases referred to
them by the Mediation Committee or directly from Jimmy Wales."

"The arbitrators will accept a case if four arbitrators have voted to hear it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_policy#Requests

I for one will not vote to hear any case where I think that earlier steps in
the dispute resolution process would help. I will also not vote to hear cases I
think are frivolous.

But a majority vote by the mediation committee would add a great deal of weight
to my decision to vote to hear a case. As would a community poll.

For me at least, requests by individuals is just so much background noise.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)