[WikiEN-l] Mediation/arbitration

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Mar 30 15:51:15 UTC 2004

I think weeding out trolls is a primary task of Mediators.

I agree with Anthere that disputes between good contributors can be
resolved with logic and courtesy.

I think, however, that as soon as the Mediation Committee realizes that
One of the parties is not interested in Wikipedia goals but is just
yanking our collective chain -- then label them a troll and refer them
to Arbitration for their time-out.

This is exactly the same technique I used in my Sunday School. If a
child is willing to apologize and make up, then no punishment is
necessary. Otherwise, time-out: immediate, no debate, no appeal.

My class became so quiet and happy that enrollment quickly doubled!
(Pretty good considering my only experience teaching young kids was one
viewing of "Kindergarten Cop"!!)

When word got out, people came from several states away, just to find
out how I did it.
Don't feed the trolls! Give them a time-out!!

Ed Poor
Application Engineering
x5479