[WikiEN-l] Should articles explain pronunciation?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Mar 29 14:43:07 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:
> Should Wikipedia articles, in their first paragraph, explain the
> pronunciation of the word that is the article title?

Doesn't it depend on the context?  Some words are difficult to
pronounce, or commonly mispronounced ("Uranus"), so that it's
worthwhile to include it.  Other words ("United States") are not
difficult to pronounce and are not commonly mispronounced.

It'll be a judgment call in most cases, right?

> Also, what makes the pronunciation of Uranus more mention-worthy
> than that of, say, "planet"?

"Uranus" is commonly mispronounced, "planet" is not.  That strikes me
as being relevant to our editorial decisionmaking in cases like this.

--Jimbo