[WikiEN-l] Should articles explain pronunciation?

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun Mar 28 05:45:26 UTC 2004

The subject line says it all...

Should Wikipedia articles, in their first paragraph, explain the
pronunciation of the word that is the article title?

I have removed those on the grounds that Wikipedia is not a dictionary,
but I've been reverted with the argument that a pronunciation guide
doesn't turn an article into a dictionary definition.

My reasoning behind not wanting the pronunciations is that logically,
articles should describe the concept behind a word (e.g. the planet
Uranus) and not the word itself ("Uranus", which could be referring to a
planet, a deity, or even a film). Also, what makes the pronunciation of
Uranus more mention-worthy than that of, say, "planet"?

Timwi