[WikiEN-l] Re: Taste?

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 25 06:44:00 UTC 2004

Dan Miller wrote:

>>I agree that as a matter of taste, we should (for
>>now) keep this page
>>deleted.  However, as a matter of law, there is no
>>reason for us not
>>to publish this information.
>>

>True, but we'll want a page once the trial's over.  Or
>else we ought to delete [[Nicole Brown Simpson]].

The question nobody seems to be asking is whether this person actually
warrants a separate page. Is there really any encyclopedic information
worth including about her, other than as the victim in a high-profile
crime case? In the tangents of the OJ trials, there was also a fair
amount of publicity about Nicole personally, from which we could draw
the information to improve on the measly stub that's there now. While on
the other hand, Kobe Bryant's accuser is unlikely to be the subject of
biographical features afterwards, unless she chooses to be more public
than she has been.

"Fame" and "importance" are uncertain concepts to use here, but is
having your 15 minutes in relative anonymity worth keeping in an
encyclopedia? I would just redirect the page to [[Kobe Bryant]]. We can
still choose whether to publish her name on that page, either now or
later. I agree that for now it's better not to, but it would be less
objectionable as time passes. Assuming that with the passage of time,
anybody even cares what her name is. We're an encyclopedia, not a newspaper.

Lest I be misunderstood, I have at least some sympathy for the cause of
the "low encyclopedic" we just discussed. But in the long run, a
separate page for this woman is not like including a few significant
restaurants in [[New Haven, Connecticut]] - it's like writing separate
articles on each and every one of those restaurants. Not every person
who gets mentioned in an encyclopedia article also warrants their own
article.

--Michael Snow