[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia in the news

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Mar 24 18:03:13 UTC 2004

Lee Pilich wrote:
> I'm interested in how these things get in papers by the way. Most previous
> coverage, I think, has come from press releases, but this article is
> mainly about a paper version, about which there have been no offical
> pronouncements that I'm aware of. So what happened here - did somebody go
> to the paper about this, or did the paper go to Jimbo out of the blue?
> Just curious. If it's the latter, it's surely a sign that we're being
> taken really quite seriously (something which probably shouldn't surprise
> me, but which nontheless regularly does).

The author of the article, Danny Bradbury, is a fairly well-known IT
journalist working primarily as a freelancer:
http://www.itjournalist.com/

He contacted me for an interview, but I don't remember what exactly he
said prompted him to be interested.  If I remember correctly (and I
may not), he's been following the project for awhile.

As to my role in the project, that's something that I try to downplay
a lot in interviews, for two reasons.  First, when I tell reporters
that I'm astounded by the quality of the people involved and that
mostly my job is just to listen to what really smart people tell me,
it's *true*.  But second, I think it's good media schtick for me as
well, if you see what I mean.

A Dutch Magazine _Ode_ published an article last month about
Wikipedia...  I just got a copy in the mail the other day.  And the
title of the article is "Jimmy Wales' encyclopedia".  That's pretty
silly, although my mom will surely like it.

--Jimbo