[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia in the news

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 24 13:43:08 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

> After reading that article I begin to have serious doubts about the
> viability of a print version. What would the production costs actually
> be? Even giving volunteer editing, printing, binding and distribution
> costs might exceed any reasonable price. Remember we are talking about
> a multi-volume work, or are we? Maybe a 1 volume, "Best of", would be
> the way to go.

I saw that, and wondered in a similar way.  Multi-volume at this stage
is probably overly ambitious, but is worth considering at some time in
the future.  If the publishers with whom Jimbo is negotiating are going
to handle the production costs the matter is very much out of our hands.

Many of the "almanacs" that come out each year are reasonably priced and
quite thick.  The downside is that they are produced on a low quality
paper which will fall apart faster than most..  That is nevertheless is
acceptable if the plan is to revise and update every year.

As I've said before I very much support the idea of a print version, but
I think that the planning that has gone down so far is somewhat short of
realistic.

Ec