[WikiEN-l] Consistency

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Wed Mar 24 03:44:48 UTC 2004

On Mar 22, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> In the tables for [[Montana]] (a state in the United States) and
> [[Germany]] (the country in Europe), we learn that Montana is 381,156
> km^2 and Germany 357,022 km^2.  To Americans such as myself, these
> numbers have no intuitive meaning.  I know via conversion factors how
> long a kilometer is, if I stop to think about it, but still the
> numbers mean nothing.
>
> This bugs me, but I consider that particular argument to have been
> lost a long time ago, and with good reason I suppose.  (Although I
> think in the case of km^2, it would be sensible to express both
> numbers and not omit mi^2.)

I posted an idea to solve this problem at
<http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/
MediaWiki_feature_requests_and_bug_reports#Conversion_syntax>, but I
got no
response (hint, hint...), so I don't know if it's feasible.

Peter

                        A house without walls cannot fall.
           Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org