[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedic"

Daniel P.B.Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Mar 20 20:53:38 UTC 2004

[snippages]
> the original poster was adding off-the-cuff pizza places that, at
> least as far as was indicated in the article, had no particular
> significance except possibly to the poster.
> RickK
>
> "John C. Penta" <pentaj2 at UofS.edu> wrote:
>
> I think the whole idea of 'encyclopedic'-ness is becoming a barrier to
> Wikipedia.
>
> I have to agree with Erik; include these places. For those who know
> the Jersey Shore, imagine an article on the area _without_ including
> something on the Stone Pony. I live here...Not including the Stone
> Pony would leave a gaping hole. Not including the Hilltop Steakhouse
> in a similar article on Boston would be similar.
>
> Yeah, you'd get all the facts, but you'd miss a lot of the character.

I plead guilty to personal inconsistency on this. ("I am large, I
contain multitudes...") I thought RickK was right about the inclusion
of Sally's Apizza and Pepe's Pizza. On the other hand, some time ago
Angela slapped me _very, very_ gently on the wrist for mentioning by
name all two of the lodging options available in Lancaster, Wisconsin
(population 4070); the specific sentence was "Lancaster accommodations
include the Best Western Welcome Inn (608-723-4162) and the lovely
Maple-Harris Bed and Breakfast 608-723-4717, 888-216-0888." Well, the
Best Western is fine, but the Maple-Harris _is_ lovely. (Anyway, we
settled for replacing the sentence with external links to the lodging
sections of the City of Lancaster website)

Clearly, certain kinds of articles, particularly those about towns and
universities (and university towns!) tend to acquire a certain
"community" flavor. Obviously this is because the people most likely to
contribute are present/former residents/students, who have an emotional
attachment to the place. Equally obviously, the mention of specific
commercial establishments is apt to be perceived as "advertising" by
outsiders, whereas in many cases the motivation for placement is just
affection for the establishment. I certainly do not have any business
connection with Maple-Harris, for example.

Of course, the problem is that merely mentioning an establishment may
be evocative of local color to people that know the town, but doesn't
do much for outsiders. It's true that I'm not a proper judge of whether
Sally's Apizza is "encyclopedic" or not. But unfortunately it's equally
true that mentioning it in an article on New Haven doesn't do a thing
to convey anything about New Haven to me.

So... what we probably have here in the New Haven article is people
from New Haven writing things about New Haven that are mostly to be
appreciated by people _from_ New Haven. Which is probably why this sort
of thing is faintly annoying to outsiders.

(By the way, for the record, the current article on Boston does _not_
mention the Hilltop Steakhouse. Nor Jake Wirth's, nor the Union Oyster
House, nor Durgin-Park, nor the much-missed Jack and Marion's in
Brookline, home of the Empire State Skyscraper Sandwich... Ah, Jack and
Marion's... What care I about lunch counters and pizza joints in New
Haven,  Jack and Marion's was a cultural icon of the first water. Say,
get this--their menu, well, see, it had these red stars next to certain
items and when you tried to figure out what it meant and looked at the
bottom of the menu, it said "Red star indicates good profit item for
Jack and Marion's--please order!" Yes, indeed, Jack and Marion's is
surely worthy of an entire Wikipedia article of its own, perhaps two...
but I digress. Or do I?)

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, but clearly Wikipedia is
no more (and no less) like a print encyclopedia than email is like
traditional ink-on-dead-tree-USPS "snail mail."

I'm beginning to wonder whether we should recognize a division between
"high encyclopedic" (as in Diderot, Britannica, etc.) and "low
encyclopedic" (as in "Encyclopedia of Beer," "Ohio State Football
Encyclopedia," "The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Science Fiction").
Certainly there seem to be things which are not "encyclopedic" but
which are nevertheless "wikipedic."

--
Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net alternate:
dpbsmith at alum.mit.edu
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/