[WikiEN-l] [[New Haven, Connecticut]]

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 01:26:58 UTC 2004

Yeah, I had no problem with leaving Louis' Lunch in there, but it was the three other pizza places that he kept trying to re-insert.  I haven't checked the latest version yet, if he's willing to leave those out then I'm satisfied.

But what do we do in the future if an editor insists on adding two or three stores or restaurants and won't let the ads be removed?

RickK

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:

Rick wrote:
> [[User:Nunh-huh]] insists on including three pizza places and a
>restaurant on the New Haven page. I've been trying to delete them but
>he won't let me. When I suggested that if he's going to list them he
>should add several others, he said that I needed to add them if I
>thought they should be included. Isn't it POV to list only a very few
>of the hundreds of stores in a city's list? Isn't this free
>advertising?

I'd say that it depends on the entire context. It can certainly be
valid to mention some restaurants or establishments of any type in an
article, if they are actually of some cultural importance in that
city.

It seems that on the last revision, Nunh-huh is agreeing to leave out
the pizza joints, but wants to leave in the refernece to Louis' Lunch.
If the description is true _and verifiable_, then it should stay,
because a restaurant that claims to have invented the hamburger and
which has "queues ten deep at lunchtime" does sound like a useful bit
of local color/culture for the article.

http://www.louislunch.com/ has several links to newspaper articles and
the Library of Congress which appear to confirm the cultural
importance of this place.

By and large, we can do away with disputes of this type by simply
citing confirmability. In this case, the info about Louis' Lunch
appears to meet that test. For the others, I didn't check.

--Jimbo