[WikiEN-l] Re: Edit war policy meaningless

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 10:08:24 UTC 2004

Ec wrote:
>I can support something like the three revert concept
>as a guideline, but certainly not as a rule, and even
>less as an enforceable rule.

Last time I checked the 3-revert rule had well over 80% support from a
wide-ranging and large group of Wikipedians. That makes it a policy here in
wikiland.

What there is, is a good deal of disagreement on how to enforce this policy.

Martin's idea for protecting the version a 3-revert-rule-breaking edit warrior
does not like seems to be a reasonable extension of our current protection
guidelines (and are now a part of those guidelines thanks to Jimbo's support
for the idea).

I would like to add a three-strike policy on top of that: if a user breaks the
3-revert rule 3 times or more in a certain time-frame, then that user gets a 24
hour time out (which could get longer for repeatedly striking out until a
certain number is reached - then it is off the arbitration committee).

Sadly, we are not a small little community anymore where informal means of
running the shop could do just fine. We need clear rules and clear ways to
enforce those rules.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)