[WikiEN-l] Root and Branch - it's the only way.

Angela sloog77 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 14 13:54:07 UTC 2004

 --- Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <jheiskan at welho.com> wrote:
>Please, let us invest the Mediation Committee with an
>explicit power of binding referral to the Arbitration
>Committee...

I completely agree with Cimon. If participants in
mediation have followed all the steps of the dispute
resolution process, mediation has failed, and the
mediation committee recommends arbitration, is there
any reason the arbitrators still need to vote on
whether to accept the case? Can they not trust the
mediation committee to make these referrals?

The necessity to go through the additional stage of
voting on acceptance of cases seems a waste of time if
the mediators have already decided that arbitration is
the best route for the person they are referring. I'm
not saying they can't veto the referral if they really
think that's best, but couldn't the default be
acceptance of cases we refer to them rather than the
insistence of a vote every time?

Angela.