[WikiEN-l] Edit war policy meaningless

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 13 20:13:05 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote

> No, the right thing to do is to tell this user to either abide by our
> rules or go away. This is not a matter of debate, it is a matter of fact.

I agree with the thrust of what Erik is saying (though not with this way of
saying it).  I think it's not hard to prove that edit wars damage the
content of Wikipedia, in more than one way (neglect, concentration on
peripheral points, sensible people keeping a safe distance).  So any
argument against eventual enforcement of tough policies must be in the terms
that they may do more damage.  I really don't see it - for most edit wars,
and most users, stamping them out would just lead to sighs of relief all
round.

Charles