[WikiEN-l] Re: New sidebar poll

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Mar 12 18:52:21 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Such as merging the community portal with the main page.  We don't need
> the news section there; this is an encyclopedia, not a newspaper.

True, we are not a newspaper, but I suspect that I'm in the vast
majority when I say that I often get my daily background information
about what's going on in the news from Wikipedia's homepage.

I learned a lot about Basque separatists and ETA and so on in the past
two days.  I read a lot about the South Korean impeachment.

The "In the news" feature on the homepage is one of the best things
that we do, in my opinion.

--Jimbo