[WikiEN-l] Transition to WikiDemocracy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Mar 12 18:10:27 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> The arbitration committee was created, not for vandals and
> troublemakers, but for long-running personality conflicts or
> style/content disputes. But when there's a troll loose in the dungeon,
> we need to the authority to act quickly and quarantine the problem.

You have that, and have had it for some time.  This certainly
qualified as an emergency.

> I did not plan to be the one to force the issue; I had hoped to avoid
> even the slightest hint of "unilateral action", but todays' crisis
> seemed to call for what we might call "citizen's arrest". Responding to
> repeated calls for help, I blocked a user and all his known puppet
> accounts. This action requires immediate review by the Arbitration
> Committee.

Well, unless someone has a beef, I see no reason for it to come to
that.

This is exactly why we gave sysops the technical ability to block
logged-in users.  We're cautious about using it, and it's sometimes
controversial, but in this particular case, I see no reason for it to
be so.  You acted out of good faith, and additionally it was obviously
to me the right thing to do.

There's no problem here, and no need for a policy change, because
policy already fully supports what you did.

--Jimbo