[WikiEN-l] Re: New sidebar poll

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Mar 11 23:47:52 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Timwi wrote:
>
>> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>>
>>> I hadn't followed this debate until now.  Some people have other
>>> things to do.  But I see that the vote avoids the whole issue of
>>> alternatives to having  a "Community Portal" page at all.
>>
>> Such as, for example?
>
> Such as merging the community portal with the main page.

This doesn't strike me as a particularly widely-wanted change.

> We don't need
> the news section there; this is an encyclopedia, not a newspaper.

The Main Page is specifically not an encyclopedic article. True, we are
not a newspaper, but there is no reason to not have a little section
that points at articles that are relevant to recent happenings. It shows
visitors how up to date we are!

Timwi