[WikiEN-l] Re: Tech proposal for 3-revert rule

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Tue Mar 9 16:44:18 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Here's a table to show what I mean:

   restr_user        restr_article   restr_num
> Jimbo Wales      -   Oregon    -     3 # Jimbo throttled on this article
> Jimbo Wales      -   Cats      -     0 # Jimbo per-article banned
> *                -   DNA       -     1 # everyone throttled here
> *                -   Judaism   -     0 # same as protected
> Wik              -   *         -     3 # Wik throttled everywhere
> Plautus          -   *         -     0 # Plautus banned
   *                -   *         -     0 # Mwahahahaa! ;-)

Seriously:

This smells a bit of database problems. In order to determine if someone
can edit an article, you would have to:

- query this table you've suggested:
     SELECT restr_num FROM retrictions
     WHERE restr_user IN ('User Name', '*')
       AND restr_article IN ('Article title', '*')

- query both cur and old to see how often they have already edited it:
     SELECT COUNT(*) FROM cur
     WHERE cur_user=$userid AND cur_timestamp < $twentyfourhoursago
       AND cur_title='Article title' AND cur_namespace=0
     SELECT COUNT(*) FROM old
     WHERE old_user=$userid AND old_timestamp < $twentyfourhoursago
       AND old_title='Article title' AND old_namespace=0

and then compare.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I have my suspicion that this is
going to slow things down even more.

Timwi