[WikiEN-l] Visual suggestion; Straw Poll

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 8 23:54:13 UTC 2004

Theresa Robinson wrote:

>I prefer it without the bright boxes.  I agree that it is very prominent
>to editors, and that it screams "please fix me."  However, it is overly
>distracting to people who have stumbled to the pedia from google and just
>want to read the article.

Speaking as a committed non-supporter of VfD, I find the "cleanup box"
much more palatable.

I don't think that exposing casual visitors to it is all that bad.  It's
there because somebody thought there was a problem.  There should be as
much an alert to the visitor as to the regular.  Letting the visitor
know that there may be a problem is a matter of openness and
transparency.  It warns him to read critically.  Without it he may put
undue reliance on the material, and blame Wikipedia when it turns out to
be wrong.

Of course everybody should apply critical reading skills to evertyhing
on the net. ...but that's another story.

Ec