[WikiEN-l] Re: Erik, a couple of requests

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 20:13:17 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales a écrit:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>>This whole mediation/arbitration distinction seems fallacious to me. Alas,
>>we're in this mess now, and it is unlikely to be fixed.
>

> I don't know, I'm up for radical change if the current system is not
> working out.
>
> The big problem I see right now is that too many people say "forget
> mediation, I want to go straight to arbitration".  So the mediation
> step is slighted.  And people aren't just being annoying when they do
> that, it's that by the time it gets to formal "mediation", things are
> so bad that only "arbitration" is possible.
>
> The Mav/168 situation strikes me as being like that.  Here we have two
> valued contributors arguing endlessly about something that outside
> parties see as entirely pointless (the wording of the introductory
> paragraph of [[DNA]], where there's nothing transparently wrong about
> either alternative, and it seems impossible that there could be no
> compromise).
>
> They want to go to arbitration over it.
>
> --Jimbo

Could you be more specific Jimbo ?

You write here that to your opinion, there has been no mediation between
168 and Mav. You write here that they both want to step directly to
arbitration without having gone through mediation.

I may be wrong here, but I have in my mail box perhaps 400 ko worth of
discussions. I also sent several times reports to mediation, for which
you were in copy. As far as 168 is concerned, he said he appreciated my
efforts, and felt better from them. I doubt he told you the opposite. I
discussed much less with Mav, because I had no trouble understanding
what he was waiting from 168, and saw quickly that 168 would not agree
with Mav wishes unless other wishes were offered back.
So, I would like to know if your feeling that no mediation occured is
just a personal opinion.

Also, I regret I was just leaving on holidays when the conflict took
place. So it was a week before I started talking to 168. Just a week. It
does not seem to me so much of a long time that it would mess any
attempt of discussion. The hardest for me was to understand the whole
mess, and to convince 168 to talk privately rather than publicly.

This is just the mediation as we laid it down together. Roughly.
It was also meant to relieve you of some discussions, that we thought we
could handle like adults. For example, some people could discuss
conflicts and then take decisions, without you having to spent enormous
amount of time on these cases. Which necessarily induced longer time for
processing.

Now, if each time we want to step from mediation to arbitration, we have
to justify it is the only way possible, and to make you fill all the
holes, so that you can evaluate whether the request is valid or not
valid, perhaps we will lose even more time than before and you won't
gain time you could use more constructively.

If not, perhaps we could decide that you are in copy of ALL mails
exchanged during mediation, so that you can judge by yourself whether
the decision to stop mediation is correct or not.

Now, what I decided to do yesterday (before Erik unsysoped 168 and led
him to quit) was to try a mix of mediation and some arbitration. It may
be a wrong solution in the sense a mediator should stay neutral, but on
the other hand, it can compensate the lack of arbitration conclusion. I
view this as a possible solution. A sort of mediation with some direct
enforcement of certain rules. I do not know what people think about
that. It is just a proposition.

I am personally not very happy to see that my efforts did not have any
good conclusion. I am more unhappy to see that 168 quit, without being
granted either public trial as he initially wished, nor arbitration as
he requested. I am even more unhappy to see that the current
mediation/arbitration process is broken, because of all the hopes I had
in it, and all the time I invested in it. I am disappointed that it
seems that the reasons why Mav and 168 requested arbitration are
misunderstood. I may have reached the limits of my ability to make
myself understood. I am definitly not happy to hear that the mediation
job was not done.

Grumble grumble grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble