[WikiEN-l] User:Pakaran calls for censorship of Wikipedia

Abe Sokolov abesokolov at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:10:20 UTC 2004

[[User:Pakaran]] left the following message at [[User talk:RickK]]:

"Hi, thanks for the info.  I agree that the "red faction" thing has gone too
far.  :Feel free to block all addreses adding communist POV to the
wikipedia."

For verification
[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:RickK&diff=0&oldid=2622478
compare the two versions].

The ideological censorship endorsed by [[User:Pakaran]] constitutes a
blatant abuse of admin powers. Developers, who have the power need to
suspend adminships, need to monitor the behavior Pakaran.

RickK did not make these comments, so we have to give him the benefit of the
doubt. This is far worse than a single misuse of sysop powers. Over the
course of the 15 months that I've been contributing to Wikipedia, I've never
seen any statement vis-à-vis sysop powers so appalling. We can all screw up
from time to time, but to have a sysop openly advocating ideological
CENSORSHIP by means of bans and blocks might be unprecedented. Unless the
statements are retracted clearly and unambiguously, this is a case for quick
and permanent suspension of sysop powers.

Also, please see my comments at [[Wikipedia:Conflicts between users]]. The
specter of McCarthyism is haunting Wikipedia. The comments by User:Pakaran
are merely an example of a broader, overarching pattern; the abuse of users
who hold unpopular beliefs is practically out in the open now and out of
control.

Recently, e.g., [[User:Adam Carr]] has been seeking to discrediting me for
having a more sympathetic view of the Sunshine Policy of former South Korean
President and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Kim Dae-jung and negotiations with
the DPRK.

For this, Adam has been going from page to page, attempting to discredit me
as an "apologist for Stalinism." For the sake of argument, if one goes by
his standards, Madeline Albright, e.g., who visited the DPRK late in the
Clinton administration, would also be Stalinist dupe. For crying out loud,
this might even be absurd to the John Birch Society. Dr. Carr, however,
isn't an idiot; he knows what he's doing. He knows that sloganeering,
browbeating, and McCarthyism allow him to mobilize support on Wiki whenever
his edits are being challenged. If you're ever in an edit war, just call
your opponent a Commie and let mob rule take care of everything!!

Only a handful of users seem to care about fostering pluralism, diversity,
tolerance, and mutual respect on Wiki these days. Fortunately, site owner
Jimbo Wales is the most ardent defender of a pluralistic community of users.
His guidance is desperately needed at this point.

Mr. Wales, whom I'm deeply respect for founding this experiment in applying
a certain set of principles, needs to explain to these "anti-Communist"
advocates of censorship the differences between liberty and fascism.