[WikiEN-l] Columbia encyclopedia article titles

user_Jamesday user_Jamesday at myrealbox.com
Wed Mar 3 04:11:27 UTC 2004

Rural lost to Feist because Rural had included every eligible telephone subscriber in the telephone directory. That is, because Rural had done no selection. Since there was no selection, the list of subscribers was just factual information in an obvious order and not copyrightable.

All encyclopedias do select which articles to include and under what titles, a tiny subset of every possible encyclopedic subject. That selection is copyrighted. What we see created so far is a portion of a robot run which was in the process of adding a very substantial set of additional redirects. You might want to read the paragraph under Implications at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural :

'cannot contain any of the "expressive" content added by the source author. That includes not only the author's own comments, but also his choice of which facts to cover'

This is a case of a use of the choice of which facts to cover.