[WikiEN-l] Columbia encyclopedia article titles

user_Jamesday user_Jamesday at myrealbox.com
Wed Mar 3 00:48:47 UTC 2004

At my urging in IRC chat, this and the redirects from it are listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Possible_copyright_infringements#March_2 .

A meaningful selection of a subset is copyrightable and the selection of articles to include in an encyclpedia is such a meaningful selection.

The company has a major financial incentive to take us to court bcause we are competitors. Our normal transformative use fair use argument doesn't exist because they are an encyclopedia and so are we, so fair use is far, far tougher to argue. We also lose our unwritten fifth fair use factor "are they good people?" positive result in this case.

They would take us to court and this is free ammunition forthem to use to do it. Whether they do it before a print edition or after, to do the greatest possible harm by requiring all copies to be recalled or destroyed, is not knowable by us.

We must not use the selection of articles made by another encyclopedia as a checklist for articles we want. If individual Wikipedians do so, that's their problem but we must not conspire with them to facilitate it.

It's not a problem to do things like noting that it's common for encyclopedias to use "lastname, firstname" form for names and add redirects of that sort for every individual we have in the Wikipedia. It's not a problem to note that encyclopedias often use the names of popes not preceded by the word pope and create redirects for that. But it is a problem if a large subset is selected and systematically worked on in this way. It's also a very big giveaway if they see lots of referrers from a Wikipedia page to their site.

It was a good and helpful thought Timwi, but it does lots of potential harm and shouldn't be done in this way. If you instead make a bot to create lastname, firstname redirects, that would be useful and not a problem.