[WikiEN-l] Columbia Encyclopedia titles

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 2 19:27:46 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Yesterday I did this little comparison that Jimmy Wales asked me to
> do, to see how large our encyclopedia would be if we covered the same
> topics as Columbia.
>
> Among other things, the result revealed that about half of their
> article titles do not have corresponding titles on Wikipedia.
>
> My question is whether we want to do something about this (create
> redirects). I would like to dump the huge list of article titles we
> don't have onto some page in the Wikipedia namespace, and have our
> bulk of volunteers work through them and create redirects to the
> relevant pages, or mark some as "we *really* don't have something
> about this topic" if applicable.
>
> Would such an effort be warranted?

Tools that give us an idea of things that still need to be done are
almost always helpful.  Creating a long series of redirects, however,
does not seem helpful.  It would be better to leave them alone fo people
who are looking for something to work on.  Undoubtedly, as when we have
simply used a different title or title format, a redirect will be the
appropriate course of action, but these decisions should all be on a
one-by-one, hands-on basis.

Ec