[WikiEN-l] Re: Hi! :-)

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Tue Mar 2 16:29:48 UTC 2004

FYI, the message below was an attempt to send a virus to the listserv:

>Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:26:12 -0500
>From: redgum46 at lycos.com
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] Hi! :-)
>To: WikiEN-l at Wikipedia.org
>
>Argh, i don't like  the plaintext  :)
>
>..btw,  "22061"  is a password for  archive

Since the file attachment was scrubbed, no harm was done, but since
this virus is making the rounds I thought people would like to know.

In all likelihood, this message was not sent from
<redgum46 at lycos.com>'s computer. This virus spoofs email addresses
that it finds in the address book of computers it infects.

The specific virus that was sent is either "WORM_BAGLE.F" or a close variant
called "WORM_BAGLE.G" (also known as "Win32.Bagle.F" or "Win32.Bagle.G").
Technical information and instructions on how to deal with it can be found
at the following URLs:

http://www.norman.com/virus_info/w32_bagle_f_mm.shtml

http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38444

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BAGLE.F