[WikiEN-l] Eclecticology for admin

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 1 23:42:14 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>User:172 nominated Ec for admin, but the proposal attracted instant
>opposition.
>
>I'm perplexed: I never even noticed he /wasn't/ an admin, and I don't
>know what all the fuss is about. Something to do with "deletionism" vs.
>"inclusionism" I guess....

I've thanked 172.  When I became a Wiktionary sysop more than a year I
made a point of saying that I did NOT want to become a Wikipedia.  At
that time one of the few requirements was that a person be subscribed to
the mailing list.  I am still not seeking to be a Wikipedia sysop.  (I
did request becoming a Wikisource and Wiktionary bureaucrat on Tim
Starling's Meta talk page, but that is a different matter, which has
nothing to do with Wikipedia as such.)

The "deletionism" vs. "inclusionism" issue is certainly a significant
part of the debate, but so too has been my hostility to the VfD process
that I have refused to recognize.  We have a certain gang of people who
find delight in making up rules that they feel they should also enforce;
some others of us would be happier participating in useful contributions
instead of endless debates about rules.  This came to a head between
Angela and me when, in the early days of Wikisource, she sought to
transfer a number of these "decided" rules to Wikisource before any
discussion took place.  As a part of the ongoing dispute she had herself
desysoped on Jan. 16, and life there has been calm and co-operative ever
since.

Angela and I did have a hot exchange on the mailing list which resulted
in an agreement that we did not trust each other's activities.  I was
content with that, and certainly have not sought to further seek out
disputes with her, being happy to have the dispute behind me.  Since my
most recent activities have been focused in Wikisource this has not been
difficult in the light of her decision to no longer show a significant
presence there.  The way that she has led the charge against the
nomination by 172 suggests that she wants to maintain a grudge battle

I was amused that among the opposing voices were two user names that I
didn't recognize at all.

Ec