[WikiEN-l] Re: Trading with the Enemy

Eric Demolli demolli at unice.fr
Mon Mar 1 11:42:57 UTC 2004

It's very simple :
If I write "Jacques Chirac est un .....bip..." it's an insult, it's illegal.
If I write "Jacques Chirac est le président le plus nul que la France a
connu, sa politique est débile." it's a critic, it's legal.
Insulting anyone is illegal in France, for instance.  If I write "Anthere
est une ...bip..." she can sue me.
The penalty is just worse for the President (and not for the whole
governement).
This law is never applied since Valery Giscard d'Estaing promised not sdue
anyone. I don't think any President will go back as long as France remains a
democracy. Thus if you want to insult someone in France insult the President
it's less  risky than insulting anyone else.

Eric Demolli