[WikiEN-l] "Blocked"?

Koltwills at aol.com Koltwills at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 10:41:30 UTC 2004

In a message dated 6/25/2004 3:17:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
travelingmirv at yahoo.com writes:
Without knowing the username or the anonymous IP
address under which you were editing at the time of
the block, it's hard for anyone to say with certainty.

My wild guess is this: [[User:Hephaestos vs.
Dallabnikufesin]] is probably the latest incarnation
of the peristent vandal [[user:Michael]], who has a
strange fixation with Hephaestos's user page. Michael
sometimes uses AOL; from your e-mail address, I guess
that you also use AOL. If Michael was editing from an
AOL IP address when he was blocked, and you happened
to get the same IP address when you logged in, you
would also be blocked.

. . . but that's just a wild guess. Perhaps you have
some more information that might help? The username or
IP address you were using at the time of the block
would be most helpful.

--Charles Podles ([[en:User:Mirv]])
Thanks, Charles, for the response.

It seems the block was temporary, so I'm not too concerned.  It's all pretty
silly, if you ask me.

I don't recall who suggested to another new user that he stay away from
"controversial" subject matter -- that's just plain ... *searching for a polite
word here* ... silly.  Some people's noses got outta joint because I dared
comment on someone's ridiculous NPOV musings on "motherfucker."  If that's what
passes for controversy on wikipedia, then we're all in trouble.

Since coming to the site a week or so ago, I've come across some pretty
hair-brained stuff -- people posting misinformation about subjects they don't seem
to know much about.  And to think I once thought wikipedia was actually a good
research tool!  (Kinda scary.)  But I can hope it'll get better with each
successive edit.

Now, if we could just lose the melodrama...

Peace.

deeceevoice