[WikiEN-l] Long pages

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 24 06:38:53 UTC 2004

Stan Shebs wrote

> Please note that I'm not saying to change everything today; it's
> just that the availability of additional software support in the
> form of categories opens up all kinds of possibilities, one of which
> Magnus pointed out at the start of this thread, and we should be
> thinking about creative ways to make use of the software, not fold
> our arms and insist on doing everything the same old way.

Well, what most concerns me is that some of the comments posted here could
start an 'urban myth' that lists have had their day, their only current use
is as pathfinders for those adding categories, and that the correct thing is
to treat lists as 'to do' things for the categories.

Of course some lists are neglected - as are some pages, and some whole areas
of WP with too little editorial support. So what?

'Insist on doing everything the same old way' - what does that mean?  Wiki
works as a system of permissions.  My version of being 'creative' has long
been, where I can, to put topics in a logical order on a list, rather than
alphabetical.  What is 'creative' about delegating things to a subcategory
that provides an ABC list in a none-too-readable format?

And doesn't encourage me.  To take something on my mind- one day I might
move the magic square topics off [[list of number theory]] topics to their
own list.  Time required 15 seconds.  Time required for me to add tags to
all those: more than I care to devote to magic squares - but someone might
follow my lead.

Charles