[WikiEN-l] Long pages

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 23 19:31:58 UTC 2004

RickK wrote

>Woah, wait.  Are you saying that as items are added to categories (or vice
versa), they should be deleted from the list page?  No, that's entirely
inappropriate.  Lists serve an entirely different purpose from categories.
To begin with, they have red links that let users know that an article is
needed.  I really don't think we should be destroying list pages just
because categories are around!

The arguments were a bit more nuanced than that - in particular that a
bloated list might just be acting as a category-surrogate, and the red links
wouldn't be removed anyway.  But on the main thrust, I agree: if we get to
'categories good' - still honeymoon period yet - no way should it mean
'lists bad'.

We seem to need the discussion, anyway.  I can see that categories are more
'wiki': the structure may ebb and flow over time.  I have put in a lot of
time on lists, and _they work_.

Charles