[WikiEN-l] Re: Fuzzy Bunny Awards

Denni dwindrim at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 23 03:36:10 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

(1) The reasons Rick already mentioned.
(2) WikiMoney didn't work either.
(3) People will start doing certain things (e.g. make loads of trivial
     edits to the article namespace) *just* to get (one of) these
awards,
     and then genuinely think they are entitled to (one of) these
awards.
(4) Community recognition works best when it is not measurable. I can
     say with certainty that Anthere is more popular on Wikipedia than a

     vandal, but I can't rank her with other people. If she were awarded

     a "Wikipedia peace prize" and, say, Angela wasn't, then this would
     create an artificial (and deceptive) ranking between them.

My thoughts:
(1) The competitive will always be with us. They will always vie for all
the prizes. That does not mean we should stop giving them. It will be
very difficult to compete for the "Least Competitive Wikipedian" award.
And the more prizes the merrier. It is very nearly as easy to fool
adults as it is to fool children, and even when knowingly fooled, both
adults and children still value the recognition, except for the
occasional curmudgeon who is offended by any recognition of any sort.
(2) WikiMoney was patent nonsense. It served as a medium of exchange
for, um, well, errrrr...help me out here. Because "red" didn't work
doesn't mean "47" won't either, if I'm not making too dense a point.
(3) It's not hard to spot trivial edits by those who (like me) check
edits, and I'm sure it will be no harder for those who count them.
People who make a zillion trivial edits with the expectation of a pat on
the back need a reality check more than a reward. My guess is that a
goodly percentage of them will fall under topic (1), and know perfectly
well what they're doing, and why they should get a poke in the butt with
a sharp stick instead of a lovely PDF they can print & hang.
(4) Always. This month's number is "3". We deem three people worthy for
nicest Wikipedia:Faces faces. The fuzzy bunny award goes back to its
perpetual holder, Anthere.
(5) It is always easier to not say something nice than to say something
nice. It is always easier to not reward than to reward. It is always
almost as much fun when someone you like gets recognition as when you do
yourself. We are a community, so let's reward each other just for being
here. I give you all the Participant of the Month Award for taking the
time to be on the mailing list and not just an editor. You rock!!

Denni

--
•"The difference between extra-marital sex and extra marital sex is not
to be sneezed at." --George Will, on hyphen use

Visit my Wikipedia user page at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User%3ADwindrim
Do you ICQ? I do - 276534369 Magpie