[WikiEN-l] Re: Categories considered harmful

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 22 00:00:07 UTC 2004

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Melbourne_trams or
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Viennese_composers can serve as
>>> eye-openers: In each case, the "category" itself is rather
>>> pointless, and
>>> the entries are dubious. What is more, no one seems to be discussing
>>> this
>>> anywhere.
>>
>> How old is the category feature? About a few months?
>

> Heh, I think it's just three weeks old as of today. As features go,
> categories have been adopted remarkably rapidly - just compare
> tables and images, most of which are still in the old formats.

For sure!  Considering that the debate about whether or not to have
categories lasted for a year.  During that time there was very little in
that discussion about how the categories would be chosen.  So even if
many of these categories are different from the ones that I would use,
the system as a whole is on track.

Ec