[WikiEN-l] Terms of use

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jun 19 18:35:39 UTC 2004

Martin Harper wrote:

>>Some sites ask users to "sign" agreements related to their activities
>>

>So will we, eventually:
>
>[[en:Wikipedia:terms of use]]
>[[en:Wikipedia:Submission Standards]]
>
>I've made the former "official" - it was created by Alex756, reviewed by JamesDay,
>myself, and mentioned on this list, village pump, IRC, enough times. Old hat now. So
>now is a good day to be bold about it.
>
>Other Wikimedia wikis may decide they don't need such terms, or need different terms,
>so I don't think we need a Wikimedia-wide decision on this. However, I will copy to
>foundation-l, since that's the new home for wikilegal-l.

As a practical matter, what difference will this make?

All of us have acquired software which require us to "read, understand
and agree" to some longwinded licence full of legalese bafflegab.  We
all "agree", but that's just because we know that if we don't "agree"
the software won't work.  Who could honestly say that he understands the
terms of these "agreements"?

For the most part the legal effect of these documents is at best obscure
and unenforceable.

Ec