[WikiEN-l] Vandalism by banned user

KNOTT, T tknott at qcl.org.uk
Fri Jun 18 13:29:23 UTC 2004

>If he's only willing to contribute on his own terms, and if he reacts
>a "time-out" by running a computer program that automatically
vandalizes
>our encyclopedia database,

 I'm just correcting factual errors here -

It wasn't the 7 day ban by the AC that prompted Wik to run the script,
it was the continual creation of subpages to Wik's user page by certain
people who were trying to taunt him. The subpages in question were being
deleted by various admins but that wasn't good enough for Wik.

>... THEN it's fairly obvious that he never had a congenial purpose in
mind.

I can't agree with that. Wik certainly made a whole lot of very good
edits and wrote some very good articles. I'm sure that when he joined
Wikipedia he did so with the same altruistic intentions as everyone
else.

Note also that the vandalbot is attacking user pages, user:talk pages,
policy pages, and pages in the wikipedia namespace. It is not(as far as
I've seen anyway) attacking articles in the main namespace.

Theresa