[WikiEN-l] Publishing IPs (was Re: Wik's Vandalism)

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 01:25:27 UTC 2004

Martin Harper wrote:
> It would be nice if IPs of logged in edits were made public, as with logged out, as then
> individuals could take the initiative in contacting ISPs about abuse.

I think so too. I don't mind publishing the IP addresses and log entries
of the vandalbot, which is why I made this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AVandalbot_log_entries

Jeronim also made a list of IP addresses being used by Wik:

http://wikimedia.org/IPs.txt

Wik is using open proxies, so we don't have the originating IP address.
I can however obtain log entries from back in May, these should be
sufficient for his ISP to identify him. The idea is that the ISP would
be able to log the connections from his computer to the proxies, and we
can log the connections from the proxies to us, thereby establishing
proof of identity. I'm hesitant to publish Wik's IP address from the May
logs without proof in advance that he is operating the vandalbot.
However I have released this data to a German speaker who wished to
complain on our behalf.

-- Tim Starling