[WikiEN-l] Re: Can someone please explain to me...

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Wed Jun 9 14:09:46 UTC 2004

[ CCed by private mail ]

Dear Cerise Rose,

> Wow.  Calm down?  Was my message in anyway hysterical, bitchy, yelling (all caps), swearing or in any other way hypered out?

No, but nor was the reply you received.

There seem to be a few things that you don't seem to understand:

(1) It is possible to edit articles without logging in.

(2) It is NOT POSSIBLE for you to be "banned from reading". Bans on
     Wikipedia always only affect editing. If you are only reading
     articles, you never get the "you are banned" message.

(3) It is sometimes possible for users of dynamic IPs to get blocked
     from editing erroneously because a malicious user keeps switching
     IPs by re-dialling in. We have no better way of stopping these
     bad-faith edits than to block an entire IP range.

(4) The reply you received was not from an official representative of
     Wikipedia (and nor is this one). Swearing at the mailing list's
     casual participants is not going to be of much use.

> My initial email is from MAY 22.

Unfortunately, some people failed to realise that. Please forgive them
for that. The reason why your mail didn't appear on the mailing list
until now is because Brion cleaned up the moderation queue, which had
(apparently) been neglected since May. I don't know who was previously
responsible for doing that, but if you find out, please feel free to
swear at them instead.

Greetings,
Timwi