[WikiEN-l] Can someone please explain to me...

Cerise Rose ceriserose69 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 22:40:53 UTC 2004

Wow.  Calm down?  Was my message in anyway hysterical, bitchy, yelling (all caps), swearing or in any other way hypered out?  No.  I suggest you try to be a little less rude when you deal with people.  However, since you seem to think that was not calm, how about we try my matching you for rudeness?

My initial email is from MAY 22.  Your response is JUNE 8.  The server being down YESTERDAY, JUNE 7 would mean exactly WHAT in my little world over here?  Has the space/time continuum melted or something?  Is there something I don't know about a server runnign time? (Okay maybe that one would fit, but honestly...)  Are you trying to give the villiage idiot a run for his money?

My IP is dynamic.  In simple terms (want to make sure everyone keeps up), it means it may be different each time I connect to the internet.  So all I can tell you is that the 'block' was there, but I have NO idea what my IP was way back then.  Oddly enough the block could have been part of my ISPs designated ones, however, it was out of a city I don't live in, and the block was listed as being from MARCH of this year, not MAY.  Here's another thing you probably didn't read in my first email:  I had been wandering your site that morning with no problems.  Wow, that would make the block seem like maybe some sort of problem that I might have alerted you to.  Wouldn't that make me a nice person for letting you know your server was dicking around with people who weren't logging in?

Wow.  I amaze myself.  I wasn't EVEN LOGGING IN.  So in essence, what I said in the first email is making more sense now.  Let's re-read that part shall we?

"I have never edited or attempted to edit a page.  I don't even have a login for the site.

If it's a mass ban, fine.  However, I am not signing up with a login simply to tell them I've been banned for no apparent reason, when all I'm doing is reading.

If you don't want people browsing through your site, then make the pages unaccessible unless logged in.  Or, don't make it possible to block ips for people who aren't editing or logging in."

See here is where I'm giving you some valuable advice for your public site.  IF YOU WANT PUBLIC INTERNET TRAFFIC, PAGE HITS AND PEOPLE TO USE YOU AS A RESOURCE, DON'T MAKE IT SO THEY HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO GET THERE.  If I'm not logging in, why ban me?  I'm not going to mess with anything by reading.  Unless I've suddenly sprouted telekinetic powers and can make your website change with my mind.  Believe me, if I had that power, the LAST place I'd be is wikipedia..

Again, it's entirely possible it's all a server glitch, somethng coded wrong or a bzillion other things I could think of, if I cared to do so. I don't.  That's why you're involved in this crap and I'm not.

I would also like to say, thanks for your really keen eye to the problem I presented and that gungho attitude in wanting to help me.  Really.  If I hadn't had to go through major hoops just to find a way to send the message to you, if I could just be left alone to browse in peace as I wished without infraction to anyone, I'd probably be more grateful to you.

There.  I think I've now managed to make this an hysterical, bitchy, yelling (all caps), swearing or in any other way hypered out message.  No wait, I forgot the swearing.  Fuck off.  There we go.

Sincerely,
Don't bother to respond, just stick your attitude in your bottom and leave me be.

"KNOTT, T" <tknott at qcl.org.uk> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Calm down,

You probably not even blocked, there has been some problems with the database server and the site was down for most of yesterday. But just in case what is your IP ?

Theresa

I was browsing through some topics in the wikipedia this morning, without problem.  This afternoon, I find myself ip-blocked.

I have never edited or attempted to edit a page.  I don't even have a login for the site.

If it's a mass ban, fine.  However, I am not signing up with a login simply to tell them I've been banned for no apparent reason, when all I'm doing is reading.

If you don't want people browsing through your site, then make the pages unaccessible unless logged in.  Or, don't make it possible to block ips for people who aren't editing or logging in.

I was finding what I was reading interesting.  However, I guess now I'll just go elsewhere.  If you actually want page hits and readership you might want to think about your policies.  I already feel like the amount of time I've wasted even emailing you far outweighs anything of interest I found there.