[WikiEN-l] semi-permanent protection of (very) contentious articles

Magnus Link ruhrjung at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 8 07:24:49 UTC 2004

Is it maybe soon time to make a little modification to
Wikipedia's policy on protection, to allow
contentious articles to be long-term protected - in
order to stimulate the use of talk pages instead of
edit wars?

The article on Gdansk is once again protected. Of
course it's the wrong version that's fixated for some
time now.

Not only the wrong version in my personal view, but
the wrong version from the perspective of numerous
serious attmpts to solve the conflict in accordance
with Wikipedia customs.

The character of the long-standing conflict is not
much different from that of the recently discussed
Pinochet article. Maybe the chief difference is that
it does not touch the interest of the English speaking
world, and therefore attracts not much attention from
the Wikipedia community.

However, many contributors have put much time and
effort into the dispute solving process; and as being
one of these contributors I start to feel that all
that energy is badly rewarded.

/M.L.

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de