[WikiEN-l] Not a lynch mob

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Jun 7 14:26:56 UTC 2004

User:172 (Abe Sokolov) wrote:

> ... But considering the lynch mob atmosphere of this mailing
> list, I suppose that writing this article is more evidence
> in favor of a ban, right?

I object to the characterization of this mailing list, which I
administer, as having a "lynch mob" atmosphere. Lyching is literally an
extrajudicial killing, and while being blocked from editing Wikipedia
for a period of time may FEEL like death of a sort, there is certainly
nothing extra-judicial about this discussion.

In fact, I brought the issue to mailing list rather than starting
"banning procedures" because I had hopes we could settle the matter
WITHOUT a ban. That why I carefully entitled my original post as "Can we
ban 172 now? And VV too!" It seems to have sparked exactly the
discussion I had hoped -- which is about what sort of activities we all
need to engage in to craft good articles in the face of sharp
disagreements.

I only recall a couple replies seconding my proposal of a ban; the other
100 posts have been about the issues:

* What sorts of edits are appropriate?
* What are the limits on reverting?
* How must we characterize sources?
* What must we all do to work together?

These are not the sorts of issues that can be resolved by a ruling from
the Arbitration Committee, are they? Only one user -- Ptolemy? --
suggested taking this directly to the AC; everyone else seems to think
there are larger issues involved.

I don't want blood. I want peace.

Uncle Ed