[WikiEN-l] A first encounter with Categories

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Mon Jun 7 06:45:54 UTC 2004

On Sunday 06 June 2004 13:52, Viajero wrote:
> Thanks to various responses to my earlier post on the subject, I have come
> to appreciate some of the possibilities of Categories, at least in theory.
> So, this morning I decided to categorize the forty or so articles on
> writers which I created or to which I made major contributions, having seen
> several suitable Categories show up in my Watchlist for similar articles.
> To start with,  I wanted to know what categories have already been created
> for writers and journalists. For example, I saw a category for for
> "Argentine writers" (the article on Borges I think). Does this mean I
> should also create a category for Uruguayan, Mexican, and Chilean writers
> (I wrote up a couple) even though such categories would have one or two
> entries?  However, there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive, hierarchical
> index of categories. [[Wikipedia:Categorization]] should serve this
> function, but it is woefully incomplete. [[Category:Main page]] is even
> worse. So, I turned to

Initially, I imagined that categories would be organized differently and that
most articles would belong to several categories instead of a single
subcategory. I even wrote a patch which enables displaying of articles that
belong to multiple categories, for example, Category:Mexican/Writer would
return all articles which are in both Category:Mexican and Category:Writer
(this could be streched even further, and you could have, for example,
Category:Female/American/Singer/Blonde). But I guess that developers were too
busy with installing new version of the software to look at it.