[WikiEN-l] 172

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 01:03:47 UTC 2004

It is very unfortunate when a talented contributor leaves the project in
disgust, and other people consider doing the same. In this case, 172 was bullied
off by people who have yet to respond to the content of his arguments beyond
some rhetorical ranting about things which are barely relevant to the content at
hand. It was done with personal attacks, using terms such as Stalinist,
revisionist, totalitarian, etc. It was also done (sorry, Ed, but I have to point
this out) by having the title "Can we ban 172 now" appear countless times as an
email header. He reads the list. He has feelings. That very title, to someone
who has contributed such high quality work to Wikipedia, is insulting and
crass.

If the problem with 172 was that he was rude, I can point to many more
examples of rudeness by the people who are most vociferous in condemning him. It is
unfortunate that there is no equal number of emails condemning their behavior.

If the problem was content, then answer his arguments on a point by point
basis. If it is his political positioning, then point to where rather than
engaging in the same political positioning. Very often, the attacks we make on the
foibles of others are a projection of our own foibles.

If the problems are reverts, then respond to VV's reverts with equal
vehemence, instead of implying that VV's reverts were justified because he is on the
same political bandwagon as you.

If the problem is none of these, then 172 deserves an apology.

To everyone, I suggest that maybe the time has come to start considering
quality over quantity and content over form. If we don't, it seems to me that we
will end up with neither.

Danny