[WikiEN-l] Ban policy

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 09:35:08 UTC 2004

--- John Robinson <john at freeq.com> wrote:
> I respect what the Arbitration Committee is trying to do, but I have
> a distinct lack of respect about the way they're going about it.
>
> User JRR Trollkien (who, it is increasingly clear, is either a
> reincarnation of a previously permanently-banned user, or so close to
> him as not to make a difference) was blocked by an administrator
> before he had made 20 edits.  He has now racked up 1500, which will
> someday have to be gone through, each one, in an effort to remove the
> introduced crap, due in large part to the fact that it has taken:
>
> a) over a month to even get the Arbitration Committee to accept this case;
> b) two months and counting while it's been sitting in Arbitration
> Committee being mulled over;
> c) at least a month of which was caused by some sort of crazy
> departure from the case itself ("JRR Trollkien is an offensive name".
> Where did that come from? Why was that even put forth?)

Yes, this case is taking too long. I already voted on this case a month ago and
still await votes by the other members of the AC.

> The end effect of the Arbitration Committee so far is that virtually
> no users have been blocked (with the notable exception of Wik, who
> should have been blocked almost a *year* ago anyway). It would be an
> understatement to say that I'm not pleased with current affairs.

Check your facts before making ad hominen statements - K? By my estimation in
the last 6 months the AC has issued more user bans than Jimbo did two years
before that (when re-incarnations are not counted).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration#Completed_requests

> The end effect is that serious contributors are leaving this place to
> let the rest of us play with the trolls. All due to an apparent
> distinct inability to use common sense.>

Are you volunteering to be a member of the AC? It's a great job - you get to
spend hours researching a case to try to come up with a fair ruling and end up
getting cursed at by both sides of the dispute and blamed for the downfall of
the whole project. Not to mention the lovely time we have arguing over what the
best remedies are for a case.

Oh what great fun! Please join us!!

But seriously, I think that the AC needs to be tripled in size and also serve
as an appeals board for non-vandalism temp-blocks by our hopefully
soon-to-be-deputized admins who will hopefully be given the authority to
enforce our policies soon (IMO, it would have to take 3 non-AC member admins to
do such a block and a quorum of the AC to decide to extend or suspend the block
for the duration of the arbitration).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)