[WikiEN-l] Can we ban 172 now? And VV too! (in response to Stan)

Abe Sokolov abesokolov at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:52:58 UTC 2004

Re: "Here is a typical example of 172's ad hominem that really ought to be
out of bounds, and yet quite a few people seem to be OK with it.
Why is anybody willing to put up with these kinds of low attacks?"

Why didn't you quote me in full, huh?

Here's the full quotation: "BTW, an aunt of mine was murdered by the
Stalinist USSR. Aside from her one surviving sibling, the rest of her family
was murdered by Nazi Germany. I don't need some senile, 1950s era U.S.
McCarthyite throwback lecturing me about totalitarianism."

Sure, this is harsh. But the difference is that I didn't jump into the
mailing list discussion out of the blue to attack Fred Bauder; instead, I
was defending myself. As mentioned, my contributions on Soviet history on
Wikipedia are entirely in mainstream of Western academic Soviet and Russia
studies. If you have any evidence to the contrary, this is a matter to bring
up on the individual talk pages of articles.

Now, regarding "the personal attacks," if Fred stops practicing McCarthyism
against me on the mailing list, I will have no need to defend myself (in a
sometimes ineloquent manner, I admit) against his attacks on my academic
credibility and character on the mailing list. If he can apologize and agree
to quit slandering me, I'll retract those comments and agree to stay cordial
in my dealings with him in the future. The same goes for you.

-172