[WikiEN-l] What's really the deal with categories?

K Forstner kurt.forstner at chello.at
Wed Jun 2 06:36:42 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timwi" <timwi at gmx.net>
To: <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 1:46 AM
Subject: [WikiEN-l] Re: What's the deal with categories?

> K Forstner wrote:
>
> > Also, why should I change anything? I may be wrong.
>
> Timwi's answer: Loads of people change loads of things all the time, and
many of them
> are wrong. Someone else fixes the wrongs over time. That's how Wikipedia
> works.

And let me add now once more: No, that's NOT how Wikipedia works for me.
Anyone may be unintentionally wrong, but if I'm not sure to begin with, this
is certainly NOT a good prerequisite for changing an article, even if it's a
minor thing. It's just a lot more work for the rest of us correcting the
mistake(s) again.

> > What's more, I'm not at
> > all familiar with those new categorizations, I don't think they have
been
> > properly discussed, so why should I go ahead and contribute to something
I'm
> > not convinced of?
>
> Timwi's answer: Because that's the best way to convince yourself of
something (whether
> it be "categories are great" or "categories are crap").

And again I can't say I understand this. You know, I've got used to waiting
and seeing what will happen. It seems anyone (a single contributor) can
create a new category, merge existing ones, rename them, whatever. Soon the
same questions, those we had when lots of lists where being created, will
crop up: Where do we draw the line? Do we need a category "People whose left
index finger is crippled"? etc. etc.

By the way, I'm not a cunctator. I'm certainly NOT reluctant to contribute
something to Wikipedia, including making major changes. But as I said, I
have to be convinced BEFOREHAND that a particular change is a good thing.

All the best,

KF