[WikiEN-l] Re: What's the deal with categories?

K Forstner kurt.forstner at chello.at
Tue Jun 1 17:24:49 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Saintonge" <saintonge at telus.net>
To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: what's the deal with categories?

Yesterday I wrote:

A few hours ago I mildly protested against one of those categorizations. See
[[George Ritzer]], pigeonholed as a "writer".

> > Interestingly, though, you haven't changed it either.
>
> It's clear from the article that he has been a writer.  If you want to
> add further categories, do go ahead.
>
> Ec

And now I'd like to add:

This is surprisingly inconsistent. What exactly in the [[George Ritzer]]
article makes it clear that he has been a "writer"? As I tried to point out
on the talk page, well of course he has "written" something, but nothing
even remotely comparable to what the other categorized "writers" have
written, namely fiction.

Also, why should I change anything? I may be wrong. What's more, I'm not at
all familiar with those new categorizations, I don't think they have been
properly discussed, so why should I go ahead and contribute to something I'm
not convinced of?

KF